Thursday, January 21, 2010

Women for Thursday January 21, 2010

Having trouble seeing this email? View the most recent issue or stories from previous issues.
ArcaMax Publishing, Inc.
  Today's Wine & Dine Daily Video
Black And Blue Shooter
Play Now!
New Year's Resolution. Read More. ArcaMax.com | News | Books | Comics | Games | Subscribe | My Account
 

Women
For You
Thursday January 21, 2010

Health and Beauty Tip -- Simple Ways to Stay in Shape

You don't have to sign up for a special class or take up a new sport to stay in shape -- just keep moving! Everything from mowing the lawn to playing ball with your friends keeps you moving, which keeps you feeling better. Throughout the day, find reasons to move more: take the stairs instead of the elevator, or go out and walk your dog. You'll get exercise, and you'll feel better, too!

Comment on this Story | Printer Friendly | | Send Story to a Friend | Top

British party calls for ban on burkas

LONDON (UPI) -- The United Kingdom Independence Party says burkas, the Islamic cloak that covers women from head to toe, should be banned in Britain.

The conservative group, which advocates withdrawing from the European Union, issued a call Friday to ban the garments in what was seen as an attempt by the UKIP to expand its appeal to disaffected white, working class voters, The Times of London reported Saturday.

"We are taking expert advice on how we could do it," UKIP leader Malcolm Pearson told the newspaper. "It makes sense to ban the burka -- or anything which conceals a woman's face -- in public buildings. But we want to make it possible to ban them in private buildings. It isn't right that you can't see someone's face in an airport."

The Times said the UKIP is the first British party to call for an all-out ban on burkas although the far-right British National Party believes advocates banning them from schools.

"We are not Muslim bashing, but this is incompatible with Britain's values of freedom and democracy," Pearson said.


Copyright 2010 by United Press International
Comment on this Story | Printer Friendly | | Send Story to a Friend | Top

Annie's Mailbox

Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar

Dear Annie: I have been with "Sven" for two years, and we have been living together since August. He is good to me and my two kids, but I'm having a problem.

For starters, Sven has stopped telling me he loves me. Last night, when I told him I loved him, he responded that he "really likes me a lot." Also, I am a full-time student, and he disagrees with my choice to become a paramedic. I cannot talk to him about school, as he says it bores him. If I ask him to go somewhere with me, he won't.

He no longer visits my parents, which I can tolerate, but I said holidays should be an exception. He disagreed, saying his family doesn't celebrate holidays, so last Christmas, my children and I went to my parents' and then visited my brother for five days. The night before I left, I found out Sven was going to his brother's house for Christmas and that it had been planned for more than a week. He lied to me about it and then quickly invited me to come with on Christmas morning. When I stopped at his brother's on my way out of town, his sister-in-law accused me of being rude because I didn't respond to her invitation -- the one I didn't know about.

Sven has no desire to change, and I am becoming miserable. I spent my entire savings to attend school, and Sven helps pay the bills. I don't graduate for another year and cannot afford day care. Until this summer, our relationship was great. I don't want to give up yet. What are my options? -- Anastasia

Dear Anastasia: Sven isn't in love with you anymore, and you'd be a fool to pretend otherwise. We suggest you break it off and look for another roommate and a cheaper apartment. You also can get a loan, drop out of school until you accumulate enough money to finish or ask your family for help. Whatever you choose may not be the solution of your dreams, but your dreams don't seem to be working out.

Dear Annie: My 26-year-old son has many good qualities -- he's smart, attractive, friendly and hardworking. What troubles me is that he doesn't take care of his physical appearance. He goes for days without bathing, and his hair is often uncombed and unkempt.

He has many friends, but I am sure they (and his employer) wonder about his lack of hygiene. Pleas from his family don't seem to help. He lives in another city so we don't see him often, but I wish he would take better care of himself. Any suggestions? -- Worried Mother

Dear Worried: Since you see your son so infrequently, is it possible he saves the disheveled look for you, knowing you will accept him anyway? Has anyone asked him why he won't bathe and how he thinks others respond to his appearance? He may not realize how noticeable it is, and how repugnant. Or he may be doing it deliberately to keep people at a distance. Lack of hygiene can also indicate depression or an underlying medical condition. If your son won't listen to you on the subject, suggest he see his doctor. Otherwise, we hope one of his friends will set him straight.

Dear Annie: Like "Going Gray," I, too, have naturally gray hair. I have never colored it. In fact, I started going gray when I was in my 20s.

Now that I'm 49, most people simply tell me how much they admire my hair. But if anyone says anything about the gray, I reply, "I am a natural beauty." -- Sarasota, Fla.

Annie's Mailbox is written by Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar, longtime editors of the Ann Landers column. Please e-mail your questions to anniesmailbox@comcast.net, or write to: Annie's Mailbox, P.O. Box 118190, Chicago, IL 60611. To find out more about Annie's Mailbox, and read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit the Creators Syndicate Web page at www.creators.com.


Copyright 2010 Creators Syndicate Inc.
Comment on this Story | Printer Friendly | | Send Story to a Friend | Top

Quote of the Day

Virginia Woolf (1882 - 1941)

Each has his past shut in him like the leaves of a book known to him by heart and his friends can only read the title.

Comment on this Story | Printer Friendly | | Send Story to a Friend | Top

Get Healthy in 2010

Get in shape for the New Year with health tips from ArcaMax! Get the latest news in health and medicine, free diet and exercise tips, and more with a free subscription.

Subscribe to Health Tips instantly.

Find out more before subscribing.

-- From the ArcaMax editors

Celebrate all the hopes and dreams you share with your special someone with the Diamond Embrace Personalized Couples Diamond Ring -Read more here...
Recent Stories
Small Arrow   Health and Beauty Tip -- Face-Slimming Hairstyles
Small Arrow   Men respond to a woman's natural smell
Small Arrow   Annie's Mailbox
Small Arrow   Quote of the Day
Small Arrow   Health and Beauty Tip -- Face-Slimming Makeup
 
More From ArcaMax Publishing

Newsletters: Comics - Knowledge - Lifestyles - News - More

Classic Books: Fiction - Non Fiction - Short Stories - Sci Fi - More

More: Quizzes - Sudoku - Crossword - Weather - Sports - Columns

En Español: Ultimas Noticias - Tiras Comicas - Deportes - Sudoku

Ad Free Newsletter
ArcaMax publications are now available in an "advertising-free" format.
Please click here for details.
 
Don't Let the Dentist Fool You  DO NOT BLEACH  Read more here...
 
Quick Clicks
Free 2-Pack Of Planters Chocolate Lovers Peanuts
Click Now And Get Your Free $1,000 Walmart Gift Card
Limited Time FREE Play Station 3 & Rock Band 2 Video Game
 
 Vista Print- BOGO Personalized Photo Mugs - Hot items for customers, friend and family - Buy one photo mug, get one free!  Click here for details...
 
Sponsored Articles
spanish wordLearn Spanish with the "Spanish Word of the Day"
You can get an income boost with an online degree
Significant savings for ski vacations just announced
 

Manage Your Subscriptions

You are currently subscribed as duncanjax@gmail.com.
To unsubscribe from this newsletter, please notify us here or visit https://www.arcamax.com/cgi-bin/custacct.

ArcaMax Publishing, Inc., 729 Thimble Shoals Blvd., Suite 1-B, Newport News, VA 23606 | FAX (757) 596-9731
Copyright © 2009 ArcaMax Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advertise With Us | Contact the Editor | FAQ/Help


ArcaMax Publishing websites:
www.arcamax.com (Family-Friendly News & Fun)
www.bookdaily.com (Book Samples for Book Lovers)
www.arcamundo.com (en español)

No comments:

Post a Comment