Monday, January 4, 2010

Carolyn Hax for Tuesday January 5, 2010

Having trouble seeing this email? View the most recent issue or stories from previous issues.
ArcaMax Publishing, Inc.
  Today's Wine & Dine Daily Video
How To Make Blueberry Almond French ...
Play Now!
Get Healthy in 2010 ArcaMax.com | News | Books | Comics | Games | Subscribe | My Account
 
Dish Network Brings You the Best Entertainment Click here for details...
 
Quick Clicks
Gevalia Coffee - 3 Boxes For 3 Bucks!
Click Here To Turn Your PC Into A Super TV in 2 minutes!
Good News: Get A Years Supply of FREE Diapers - Pick your favorite brand - Go here
 
 Download 1 FREE Audiobook. Bonus! 25 Free Songs. Works With The iPod, Zune or any MP3 player/choose from over 1,750 audiobooks from top authors. Download the new and improved eMusic discovery toolbar and get a bonus song delivered right to your desktop every day! Click here for details...
 
 

Carolyn Hax
For You
Tuesday January 5, 2010

Carolyn Hax

Carolyn Hax

While I'm away, readers give the advice.

On a marriage that will probably never end up on life support the way so many others do:

You know, it's not that difficult to keep another person's bucket full.

A thank you here ...

A quick chat at work there ...

A "Hey, my fantasy football is really something I can put aside to concentrate fully on this baby" over there ...

And even a "Wow, my wife's so hot it kind of turns me on when she shows the rest of the world what I have all to myself" everywhere ...

It's really not difficult. I'm a husband. I know I'll die someday. I'll take every chance I can to connect with, interact with, cater to, flirt with and ogle at my wife that I can. It comes back to me, and it's all good! And it's all really easy.

-- Anywhere, USA

On another such marriage -- aka "a couple of thoughts from an old guy":

Here are a few rules I try to live by, and believe me, I'm no husband of the year:

(1) In relationships, the little things are the big things. I say please and thank you a lot to my wife when she does the dishes that I usually do, or takes care of an errand I usually do. If I clean the litter boxes (which she usually does), she thanks me. It shows respect and appreciation, which are essential for a marriage to last. I don't say "I love you" a lot; neither of us does. But we do thank each other often, and "please" is part of our house vocabulary.

(2) Take 100 percent responsibility for your part in any conversation. That means instead of "I didn't say that," you acknowledge that you did say that (maybe you really did -- we all misspeak), not in a passive-aggressive manner, but that you truly believe that you did. Then you can add, "What I should have said was ... ." I've learned this defuses many hot issues.

(3) I'm a "have to fix it" guy when my wife has a problem. One day, long ago, I had no fix, so I sat there and listened. Afterward, my wife thanked me profusely for just listening. I didn't think I did anything. But I did a lot by keeping my mouth closed and my ears open. Such a concept!

(4) When I mentioned I was going to write you, my wife commented that when she came in at the end of the day, I got up from the couch and went over and kissed her. Just that. I never really thought it was a big deal, but to her it really is.

I wish I had known all this stuff 38 years ago when we got married. Then again, I did learn it and, obviously, I'm still learning. Makes me wonder what else I'm missing! But at least I try.

I tell teenage guys to marry women smarter than they are; fortunately for them, that won't be difficult.

-- Tucson

E-mail Carolyn at tellme@washpost.com, or chat with her online at noon Eastern time each Friday at www.washingtonpost.com.


Copyright 2010 Washington Post Writers Group

Read more about Carolyn Hax at ArcaMax.com.

Comment on this Story | Printer Friendly | Send Story to a Friend | Top
Wanted!  Vile Villians - Click here for details...
Recent Stories
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax
More From ArcaMax Publishing

Newsletters: Comics - Knowledge - Lifestyles - News - More

Classic Books: Fiction - Non Fiction - Short Stories - Sci Fi - More

More: Quizzes - Sudoku - Crossword - Weather - Sports - Columns

En Español: Ultimas Noticias - Tiras Comicas - Deportes - Sudoku

Ad Free Newsletter
ArcaMax publications are now available in an "advertising-free" format.
Please click here for details.
 
 

Manage Your Subscriptions

You are currently subscribed as duncanjax@gmail.com.
To unsubscribe from this newsletter, please notify us here or visit https://www.arcamax.com/cgi-bin/custacct.

ArcaMax Publishing, Inc., 729 Thimble Shoals Blvd., Suite 1-B, Newport News, VA 23606 | FAX (757) 596-9731
Copyright © 2009 ArcaMax Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advertise With Us | Contact the Editor | FAQ/Help


ArcaMax Publishing websites:
www.arcamax.com (Family-Friendly News & Fun)
www.bookdaily.com (Book Samples for Book Lovers)
www.arcamundo.com (en español)

No comments:

Post a Comment