Saturday, January 2, 2010

Carolyn Hax for Sunday January 3, 2010

Having trouble seeing this email? View the most recent issue or stories from previous issues.
ArcaMax Publishing, Inc.
  Today's Wine & Dine Daily Video
Van Leeuwen Eggnog Ice Cream Recipe
Play Now!
Get Healthy in 2010 ArcaMax.com | News | Books | Comics | Games | Subscribe | My Account
 
Who makes the best Laptop? Apple or Dell.  Test and keep 1 of each! Click to continue.
 
Quick Clicks
Gevalia Coffee - 3 Boxes For 3 Bucks!
Click Here To Turn Your PC Into A Super TV in 2 minutes!
Eliminate Windows PC Errors Improve PC's System Speed by Up to 70%
 
Better than a bank account... Guaranteed Approval - Click to continue
 
 

Carolyn Hax
For You
Sunday January 3, 2010

Carolyn Hax

Carolyn Hax

While I'm away, readers give the advice.

On the simple (if not easy) way to be a good stepparent:

When I was 30 I married a man with four children. They were 6, 7, 8 and 9 and had already had a traumatic childhood. I told them they could call me what they felt comfortable with and to this day they call me by my name. I decided at the get-go that I would never EVER say a negative word about the mother, even though she took swipes at me. I wasn't going to play tug of war with them.

The children constantly fantasized about her (we lived in another state) and even though it was sometimes hard to keep my mouth shut, I let them believe those fantasies. We moved back to my husband's home state when they were teenagers, and of course, the kids were thrilled to be closer to their mother. Again, I remained supportive of their efforts to reconnect with her. It didn't take long for them to figure out why their father gained custody of them when they were so young. Her alcoholism meant more to her than they did. It was a painful lesson, but one they had to learn on their own.

Their father and I divorced after seven years, but we parted as friends and remained close for the next 13. When he died, I planned on moving back to where we had originally lived. All four of my children came to me and asked me to not move so far away. So I compromised and moved to an adjoining state about a day's drive from them. I was eventually joined by my "son," his wife and four children, who now live about a couple of miles from me. Two of the other children are thinking about moving closer as well, and we all get together for the holidays. To this day, my children introduce me as their mother, although they have never called me "Mom."

Recently, I fell on some hard times. I became seriously ill, spent time in the hospital and emerged healthy but penniless due to huge hospital bills. My children rallied to my support, and pulled me through. It was an amazing show of love, and when I asked them why they sacrificed so much for me, their response was: "Because you were always there for us and that's what families do." It was a humbling experience.

-- St. Louis

On simple ways to change one's perspective:

I find that for me the simplest way to turn around a situation where "I have to" is simply to change the task or situation to "I get to."

For example, I "get to" clean the toilet because: I have a place to live, I have indoor plumbing, I am healthy enough to do the job, I have the cleaning equipment or supplies, etc.

I tried for a fairly extreme everyday example, but it works for me in almost every situation. Admittedly it would not work for "I have to go to my child's funeral," but for everything else ...

-- S.K.

Or the less devastating "I have to go post bail for my lawyer" -- but otherwise, point taken, thanks.

E-mail Carolyn at tellme@washpost.com, or chat with her online at noon Eastern time each Friday at www.washingtonpost.com.


Copyright 2010 Washington Post Writers Group

Read more about Carolyn Hax at ArcaMax.com.

Comment on this Story | Printer Friendly | Send Story to a Friend | Top
Did you know there is a simple way you can own a home for as little as $350?  Click here for details...
Recent Stories
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax
More From ArcaMax Publishing

Newsletters: Comics - Knowledge - Lifestyles - News - More

Classic Books: Fiction - Non Fiction - Short Stories - Sci Fi - More

More: Quizzes - Sudoku - Crossword - Weather - Sports - Columns

En Español: Ultimas Noticias - Tiras Comicas - Deportes - Sudoku

Ad Free Newsletter
ArcaMax publications are now available in an "advertising-free" format.
Please click here for details.
 
 

Manage Your Subscriptions

You are currently subscribed as duncanjax@gmail.com.
To unsubscribe from this newsletter, please notify us here or visit https://www.arcamax.com/cgi-bin/custacct.

ArcaMax Publishing, Inc., 729 Thimble Shoals Blvd., Suite 1-B, Newport News, VA 23606 | FAX (757) 596-9731
Copyright © 2009 ArcaMax Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advertise With Us | Contact the Editor | FAQ/Help


ArcaMax Publishing websites:
www.arcamax.com (Family-Friendly News & Fun)
www.bookdaily.com (Book Samples for Book Lovers)
www.arcamundo.com (en español)

No comments:

Post a Comment