Sunday, October 11, 2009

Carolyn Hax for Monday October 12, 2009

Having trouble seeing this email? View the most recent issue or stories from previous issues.
ArcaMax Publishing, Inc.
  Today's Healthy Life Daily Video
Preventing Constipation In Newborns
Play Now!
Free Book Samples from BookDaily.com ArcaMax.com | News | Books | Comics | Games | Subscribe | My Account
 
Turn Your PC & Laptop in a TV Now!  Click here for details...
 
Quick Clicks
Piano By Number -
Kids Love It! Start Piano
at Home with Your Child
Repair Your PC With An Opportunity To Make $$!
Make $1,000 Per Day The Easy Way! Start Today For Only $4.95
 
The Perfect Job - Paid Surveys, Focus Groups at Home Now You Can Get Paid To: * Take online surveys * Participate in focus groups * Try & Keep new products * Preview movie trailers Top dollar!  Click here now to find out more!
 
 

Carolyn Hax
For You
Monday October 12, 2009

Carolyn Hax Column

Carolyn Hax

Adapted from a recent online discussion.

Hi, Carolyn:

What do you do when you realize you're too positive (if there is such a thing)? While I have opinions, I'm a very laid-back person. I find that I have difficulty expressing negative opinions or putting my foot down to my boyfriend. I'm pretty sure it stems from a deep-seated fear that he's going to up and leave me, although he's never shown any tendencies toward not being able to handle the inevitable stresses that come with life and relationships. He's a great guy, and I know it's not him -- it's me.

-- Down South


If the consequence of not putting your foot down is that you're unhappy with or resentful of the outcome, then you're not "too positive." You're "too chicken."

In that case, you need to give deliberate thought to your priorities, and then find the courage to express them. Since you'd be starting this long process from within a relationship, your best start might be in talking to your boyfriend:

"I have difficulty putting my foot down. Sometimes I agree to things I don't want to do, just to avoid conflict." Then cite a clear but nonaccusatory example here, such as: "Remember when you suggested hiking? I really wanted to stay home but didn't say anything."

And then: "I realize this is not fair to either of us. But it's going to take me a while to break this habit, so I apologize in advance for any weirdness, and encourage you to speak up when you're not sure what I'm thinking or feeling."

Then, ideally both of you, but definitely you, will start to feel out your real opinions from situation to situation. If an epiphany is timely, then share it. If something occurs to you after the fact, then you express it after the fact -- a much less angsty proposition if you've prepared him for some bumps and indecision.

Then, as you gain confidence in your needs, limits, tastes and opinions, try to transfer this new attitude out of the comfort of your relationship, and introduce gentle assertiveness into other aspects of life.

Re: Down south:

Speaking as the spouse of someone who is reluctant to offer opinions, I WANT to hear her opinions, even if they're dissenting. Reasons include: I'm genuinely interested; I want her to share accountability for our decisions; sometimes I'm only making a suggestion and don't actually feel strongly about it myself; and a perpetual "OK, if that's what you want" is demoralizing. So don't be afraid to disagree.

-- Anonymous


Grand slam, thanks.

Carolyn:

Grand slam, my rear end! In my marriage, I'm the one who doesn't argue. I think life's too short to debate every little thing, and most things really aren't worth it. But the one time I did argue and debate and give my honest opinions about something, he's still angry at me to this day. I'll never do it again.

-- Anonymous 2


Yikes. We're not talking about arguing here, we're talking about expressing opinions and/or preferences. If the only reason you don't argue is that you don't express any opinions, then that doesn't sound like much of an improvement over fighting. You don't sound free, you sound scared.

E-mail Carolyn at tellme@washpost.com, or chat with her online at noon Eastern time each Friday at www.washingtonpost.com.


Copyright 2009 Washington Post Writers Group

Read more about Carolyn Hax at ArcaMax.com.

Comment on this Story | Printer Friendly | Send Story to a Friend | Top
 Indulge your taste buds in Double-Dipped Dark-Chocolate Almonds or Milk-Chocolate Cashews with your FREE* 2-Pack Sample.  Click for details...
Recent Stories
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax Column
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax Column
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax Column
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax Column
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax Column
More From ArcaMax Publishing

Newsletters: Comics - Knowledge - Lifestyles - News - More

Classic Books: Fiction - Non Fiction - Short Stories - Sci Fi - More

More: Quizzes - Sudoku - Crossword - Weather - Sports - Columns

En Español: Ultimas Noticias - Tiras Comicas - Deportes - Sudoku

Ad Free Newsletter
ArcaMax publications are now available in an "advertising-free" format.
Please click here for details.
 
 

Manage Your Subscriptions

You are currently subscribed as duncanjax@gmail.com.
To unsubscribe from this newsletter, please notify us here or visit https://www.arcamax.com/cgi-bin/custacct.

ArcaMax Publishing, Inc., 729 Thimble Shoals Blvd., Suite 1-B, Newport News, VA 23606 | FAX (757) 596-9731
Copyright © 2009 ArcaMax Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advertise With Us | Contact the Editor | FAQ/Help


ArcaMax Publishing websites:
www.arcamax.com (Family-Friendly News & Fun)
www.bookdaily.com (Book Samples for Book Lovers)
www.arcamundo.com (en español)

No comments:

Post a Comment