Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Carolyn Hax for Wednesday February 10, 2010

Having trouble seeing this email? View the most recent issue or stories from previous issues.
ArcaMax Publishing, Inc.
  Today's Healthy Life Daily Video
Travel Health Tips - Risks Of Malaria
Play Now!
Save Money.Sample Books for Free. ArcaMax.com | News | Books | Comics | Games | Subscribe | My Account
 
 Tips for a Flatter Belly!  7 Foods that Burn Stomach Fat!
 
Quick Clicks
Turn Yellow Teeth White from Home for Less Than $3
Free Sample Of Herbal Essences Shampoo
Celeb Pup & His Lady Plan to Marry on Valentine's Day!
 
Learn How to Understand Men and Take Control of Your Love Life  Click here for details...
 
 

Carolyn Hax
For You
Wednesday February 10, 2010

Carolyn Hax

Carolyn Hax

Hi, Carolyn:

I am 29 and single. I have a very strong mother, who raised me to treat women with respect. I was taught women are strong, intelligent and independent. And that women don't need any special treatment.

When I go on dates I treat them that way. I respect them, but I don't offer to hold their door open, or always take my car. I ask if they want to drive. And I always split the check rather than pay for them. I think it's insulting to think women are fragile and we need to treat them as if they are.

As you can imagine, I don't get very many second dates. And most of my female friends say I act like a jerk. Am I a jerk? Should I change my way of thinking, or stay strong to my beliefs ... and remain single?

-- B. from Maine


Your mother instilled in you some valuable beliefs, but either she or you fashioned them into a needlessly blunt instrument.

Dates have nothing to do with scoring political points. If you ask someone to dinner, you pay. Not because your dinner companion is financially dependent upon you, but because you are the host and the pleasure of someone's company is more than worth paying the tab.

If you get to a door first, you hold it for the next person. Not because that person is too frail to handle the door, but because it's the courteous thing to do.

If you are amenable to giving your companion a ride, then you offer a ride.

Note that none of these is gender-specific. Each is one person showing kindness to another -- and people of all varieties appreciate kindness, even (especially?) the strong, intelligent and independent ones.

You have female friends, so presumably you enjoy their company. So, dating women needn't be any more complicated than your friendships. Try being kind, not right. See if that helps.

Dear Carolyn:

One of my friends has had fibromyalgia for the past year. It makes me sad, and so I like to find alternative treatments and cures and tell her about them. She's gotten really annoyed with me for doing this, but I am only trying to help and I think she should be more willing to listen to what I've found. She has a doctor she sees regularly and takes medication, but I don't know why she brushes it off when I give her my advice. I feel really unappreciated and am starting to wonder if she even wants to feel better.

-- California


She takes medication and has a doctor she sees regularly. Would you please respect this as her way of handling her illness, and stop trying to force your way down her throat, just to make yourself feel better?

Wanting to help only works if you also want to listen -- that's what makes your efforts about her illness, and not your sadness. Her message to you is that she doesn't find "alternative treatments and cures" helpful. On behalf of everyone who is struggling with health problems, and who therefore doesn't need to take on a whole other battle against unwanted advice and suggestions about his or her own body, please don't presume to judge anyone's drive to be well.

E-mail Carolyn at tellme@washpost.com, or chat with her online at noon Eastern time each Friday at www.washingtonpost.com.


Copyright 2010 Washington Post Writers Group

Read more about Carolyn Hax at ArcaMax.com.

Comment on this Story | Printer Friendly | Send Story to a Friend | Top
People are making more money than ever  Learn how...
Recent Stories
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax
More From ArcaMax Publishing

Newsletters: Comics - Knowledge - Lifestyles - News - More

Classic Books: Fiction - Non Fiction - Short Stories - Sci Fi - More

More: Quizzes - Sudoku - Crossword - Weather - Sports - Columns

En Español: Ultimas Noticias - Tiras Comicas - Deportes - Sudoku

Ad Free Newsletter
ArcaMax publications are now available in an "advertising-free" format.
Please click here for details.
 
 

Manage Your Subscriptions

You are currently subscribed as duncanjax@gmail.com.
To unsubscribe from this newsletter, please notify us here or visit https://www.arcamax.com/cgi-bin/custacct.

ArcaMax Publishing, Inc., 729 Thimble Shoals Blvd., Suite 1-B, Newport News, VA 23606 | FAX (757) 596-9731
Copyright © 2009 ArcaMax Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advertise With Us | Contact the Editor | FAQ/Help


ArcaMax Publishing is the Leader in News and Entertainment by Email

ArcaMax Publishing websites:
www.arcamax.com (Family-Friendly News & Fun)
www.bookdaily.com (Book Samples for Book Lovers)
www.arcamundo.com (en español)