Saturday, February 20, 2010

Carolyn Hax for Sunday February 21, 2010

Having trouble seeing this email? View the most recent issue or stories from previous issues.
ArcaMax Publishing, Inc.
  Today's Wine & Dine Daily Video
Sizzling Grilled Beef Strip Steak ...
Play Now!
Try BookDaily today. Read for Free. ArcaMax.com | News | Books | Comics | Games | Subscribe | My Account
 
Free Samples for a Healthier You from RemedyLife.com Click here for details...
 
Quick Clicks
Turn Yellow Teeth White from Home for Less Than $3
Free Baily Filled Chocolate!
Eliminate Windows PC Errors Improve PC's System Speed by Up to 70%
 
New Pro Style coffee maker, plus two boxes of Gevalia coffee for $19.95!  Click here for details...
 
 

Carolyn Hax
For You
Sunday February 21, 2010

Carolyn Hax

Carolyn Hax

Dear Carolyn:

I've had two dates with a great guy who has expressed to me and to mutual friends that he is very interested in me. On Wednesday, after a dinner date, he asked me to do something this weekend. I said I'd love to, and mentioned I had a friend's birthday dinner, organized by her husband, on Saturday night. He said he'd call me.

Well, it's Friday morning and he hasn't called. My friends think I made a huge mistake by not being available Saturday night -- they say I probably hurt his feelings or he'll think I'm playing hard to get, and he may not call again.

I've made the mistake many times before of dropping everything for a guy, and I know how isolating it gets. But I would also really regret not seeing where this relationship goes. Did I make a mistake? How do I fix it?

-- Ohio


Yes, you've made a mistake -- in seeking affirmation from friends who reinforce behavior you've wisely tried to outgrow.

You've had two (2) dates with a guy, and they think that's grounds for ditching what are clearly not informal plans to celebrate your friend's birthday? Because they think being genuine put you at risk of appearing as if you were pretending something?

Just writing that made my head hurt.

To fix this mistake, please take a good look at who these friends are, what they value and whether they help bring out what you like best in yourself. I'm not suggesting you ditch them all and start over; if we waited for friends who had perfect judgment, we'd all be completely alone. But there's a difference between laughing over a latte and actually trusting someone to have values in line with your own, and the judgment to match -- or just trusting them to say, "Seems a little early to get all caught up in when this guy chooses to call." Know yourself, know the character of people in your life, then figure out whom you can trust.

Dear Carolyn:

I have a boyfriend. We're both in school, and he has a job lined up postgrad; I, unfortunately, don't. He's also working on securing another opportunity in a different city. We are at a point where I don't want to be long-distance, but he can't/won't tell me whether he's leaning toward staying or leaving, so I don't know whether to look for a job here or elsewhere. My gut tells me he might be purposely avoiding committing to a decision because he doesn't want me to move to a new city "for" him, but he claims he hopes to stay together regardless. What should I do?

-- ?


Listen to what his actions are telling you, and learn. He says he hopes to stay with you regardless, but he's not letting the relationship drive his decisions.

So, I would suggest you stop expecting the relationship to drive your decisions -- even as you hope that you two stay together. Work on securing your own opportunities in whatever city appeals to you, or makes sense to you, or does an interpretive dance for you in a fever-induced career-anxiety dream.

In other words, he's not living his life for you. You'll have to do that on your own.

E-mail Carolyn at tellme@washpost.com, or chat with her online at noon Eastern time each Friday at www.washingtonpost.com.


Copyright 2010 Washington Post Writers Group

Read more about Carolyn Hax at ArcaMax.com.

Comment on this Story | Printer Friendly | Send Story to a Friend | Top
DeClutter FAST! How To Get Your Home In Order Almost Immediately In The Easiest Possible Way Click here for more details...
Recent Stories
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax
More From ArcaMax Publishing

Newsletters: Comics - Knowledge - Lifestyles - News - More

Classic Books: Fiction - Non Fiction - Short Stories - Sci Fi - More

More: Quizzes - Sudoku - Crossword - Weather - Sports - Columns

En Español: Ultimas Noticias - Tiras Comicas - Deportes - Sudoku

Ad Free Newsletter
ArcaMax publications are now available in an "advertising-free" format.
Please click here for details.
 
 

Manage Your Subscriptions

You are currently subscribed as duncanjax@gmail.com.
To unsubscribe from this newsletter, please notify us here or visit https://www.arcamax.com/cgi-bin/custacct.

ArcaMax Publishing, Inc., 729 Thimble Shoals Blvd., Suite 1-B, Newport News, VA 23606 | FAX (757) 596-9731
Copyright © 2009 ArcaMax Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advertise With Us | Contact the Editor | FAQ/Help


ArcaMax Publishing is the Leader in News and Entertainment by Email

ArcaMax Publishing websites:
www.arcamax.com (Family-Friendly News & Fun)
www.bookdaily.com (Book Samples for Book Lovers)
www.arcamundo.com (en español)