Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Women for Tuesday November 3, 2009

Having trouble seeing this email? View the most recent issue or stories from previous issues.
ArcaMax Publishing, Inc.
  Today's Wine & Dine Daily Video
How To Make A Zeli Cocktail
Play Now!
Advice from Carolyn Hax ArcaMax.com | News | Books | Comics | Games | Subscribe | My Account
 

Women
For You
Tuesday November 3, 2009

Health and Beauty Tip -- Cover Roots Quickly

If you need to cover your roots and don't have time to dye, use eyeshadow! Spray on a little hairspray, then pat a little eyeshadow along your visible hairline. Gold works best with blonde, and brown works best for dark hair or for covering gray.

Comment on this Story | Printer Friendly | | Send Story to a Friend | Top

Women value breast cancer therapy options

BUFFALO, N.Y. (UPI) -- U.S. researchers say breast cancer patients see having options as a sign of a positive prognosis.

Lead researcher Robin Lally of the University at Buffalo and Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo, N.Y., says the women who felt they had control over their choices -- such as whether to have only the tumor or the whole breast removed -- considered this an encouraging sign of their future survival.

"Women reported gaining confidence in their decision-making role through the confidence and support they felt from their surgeon and staff," Lally said in statement.

"The women in the study valued receiving options, even if they had one already in mind, and though they may not have seen themselves as a person who is typically good at making decisions, they drew confidence from the support provided to them by their healthcare team while making the decision."

Women diagnosed with early-stage breast were interviewed during the period just after surgical consultation and before surgery. The interviews were transcribed, coded and analyzed to identify themes in the participants' thought processes and published in Oncology Nursing Forum.

Lally said this is one of the very few studies to be conducted in the pretreatment period when women were actually engaged in the decision-making process.


Copyright 2009 by United Press International
Comment on this Story | Printer Friendly | | Send Story to a Friend | Top

Annie's Mailbox

Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar

Dear Annie: Seven years ago, my mother had a stroke. She recovered quite well physically, but has never been the same mentally. My aunts wanted to put her in a nursing home, but my sister and I decided to assume responsibility for her. The plan was that Mom would spend six months with me and six months with my sister.

Somehow, my sister's turn never came, and seven years later, my mother still lives with me. The entire time she's been here, family members have never visited, but they will often drive to my sister's home -- three miles away -- to visit Mom when she is there. They send invitations to family events addressed to my mother at my house and to my sister at hers, but exclude me.

I am totally burnt out with the medical appointments, medications, meals and arrangements that are involved in being a caregiver. I know there are support groups, and I've taken advantage of respite care. The most my sister will do is help out with one doctor's appointment and then withdraw, claiming she can't do anymore.

I am near retirement age. I have a wonderful partner and am grateful for all the support he has shown me. But I am resentful of the respect my sister gets from the family when they invite her to functions along with my mother, but don't include me. How do I change my situation? -- Used and Neglected

Dear Used: You need to be more assertive about your needs. It's possible your relatives think you need a break and this is why they invite Mom alone, so tell them this is not acceptable. Ask if there is something lacking in your home hospitality so you can fix it. Then say you are hurt and insulted when you are excluded from family gatherings. You also have allowed your sister to avoid her obligations. Set up a schedule so she knows when she is responsible for taking Mom to an appointment, and if she refuses, ask her to contribute financially so you can hire someone to do the things she is unwilling to do.

Dear Annie: I am 17 years old and the youngest of three brothers. The problem is my mom. She does not like my girlfriend, "Taylor." She says Taylor is too young and immature. Taylor is 15 and very sweet and kind. She's never done anything to make my mom dislike her.

Mom still likes my ex-girlfriend. She has said, "I can't find anything to like in Taylor." But that's because she doesn't want to. Her attitude really hurts me. Mom and I get in a lot of fights over this. How can I make her see my side of things and respect my feelings for Taylor? -- Unhappy Teen

Dear Teen: As much as we don't care for your mother's dismissive attitude, we have to agree that Taylor is a little young for you right now. Seventeen-year-old boys can get into a great deal of trouble with 15-year-old girls, and you would be wise to wait until she is 16. Other than that, however, your mother may have developed an attachment to your old girlfriend and is reluctant to let her go. Give it time.

Dear Annie: You've printed a few letters about the provocative way some women dress. Am I the only one totally put off these days when I turn on the morning news and see a skin flick?

What is it with news ladies and their low-cut tops showing cleavage? It's 7:00 in the morning, for heaven's sake. I'm not an old fogy. I'm in my early 50s. I have stopped watching my favorite morning program because of this. A true lady can dress nicely without having her chest hang out. Those news stations with sleazy newscasters should know my TV gets turned off, too. -- Turned Off Again

Dear Turned Off: Producers and advertisers believe sex sells, so they will use it as long as it appears to be effective. Of course, it tends to apply mostly to women.

Annie's Mailbox is written by Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar, longtime editors of the Ann Landers column. Please e-mail your questions to anniesmailbox@comcast.net, or write to: Annie's Mailbox, P.O. Box 118190, Chicago, IL 60611. To find out more about Annie's Mailbox, and read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit the Creators Syndicate Web page at www.creators.com.


Copyright 2009 Creators Syndicate Inc.
Comment on this Story | Printer Friendly | | Send Story to a Friend | Top

Quote of the Day

Annie Sullivan

We all like stories that make us cry. It's so nice to feel sad when you've nothing in particular to feel sad about.

Comment on this Story | Printer Friendly | | Send Story to a Friend | Top

Advice from Carolyn Hax

Advice columnist Carolyn Hax is famous for her ability to get to the root of people's problems -- not just what they say, but who they are and what they're thinking.

The resulting advice is often ruthless, sometimes controversial, and always hilarious.

See for yourself what great advice Hax has to offer. Subscribe to ArcaMax's Carolyn Hax ezine, and receive her witty, helpful advice free by e-mail!

Subscribe to the Carolyn Hax ezine instantly.

Find out more before subscribing.

-- From the ArcaMax editors

Help Protect your Family's Future with Life Insurance from MetLife.  Get a FREE Quote Today! Please Read details here...
Recent Stories
Small Arrow   Health and Beauty Tip -- Look Thinner in Photos
Small Arrow   Married, with children, key to happiness
Small Arrow   Annie's Mailbox
Small Arrow   Quote of the Day
Small Arrow   Health and Beauty Tip -- Not Used to Makeup?
 
More From ArcaMax Publishing

Newsletters: Comics - Knowledge - Lifestyles - News - More

Classic Books: Fiction - Non Fiction - Short Stories - Sci Fi - More

More: Quizzes - Sudoku - Crossword - Weather - Sports - Columns

En Español: Ultimas Noticias - Tiras Comicas - Deportes - Sudoku

Ad Free Newsletter
ArcaMax publications are now available in an "advertising-free" format.
Please click here for details.
 
What's Your Ideal Size?  Find Out with a FREE Weight Loss Consultation. Please Read details here...
 
Quick Clicks
Free Customized Marlboro Tee Shirt
Claim your FREE gift – a 2010 beautifully crafted desk calendar
Flush up to 25 pounds of waste and toxins from your body!
 
Get your degree online or on campus now! - Click here for details.
 
Sponsored Articles
spanish wordLearn Spanish with the "Spanish Word of the Day"
How to Keep Your PC Clean and Quick
Remodel your kitchen the easy way
 

Manage Your Subscriptions

You are currently subscribed as duncanjax@gmail.com.
To unsubscribe from this newsletter, please notify us here or visit https://www.arcamax.com/cgi-bin/custacct.

ArcaMax Publishing, Inc., 729 Thimble Shoals Blvd., Suite 1-B, Newport News, VA 23606 | FAX (757) 596-9731
Copyright © 2009 ArcaMax Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advertise With Us | Contact the Editor | FAQ/Help


ArcaMax Publishing websites:
www.arcamax.com (Family-Friendly News & Fun)
www.bookdaily.com (Book Samples for Book Lovers)
www.arcamundo.com (en español)

No comments:

Post a Comment