Friday, November 27, 2009

Carolyn Hax for Saturday November 28, 2009

Having trouble seeing this email? View the most recent issue or stories from previous issues.
ArcaMax Publishing, Inc.
  Today's Healthy Life Daily Video
Nutrition Deficiencies Common With ...
Play Now!
NEW Book Samples added. Read for Free. ArcaMax.com | News | Books | Comics | Games | Subscribe | My Account
 
Come Celebrate the new Geneva Watch Collection fall line of watches and receive a surprise ...
 
Quick Clicks
Test & Keep A Nintendo Wii Plus 5 Games - Free! Click for details
Free 2009 Drug Reference Book
Why pay over $90 a month for Cable or Sat.TV services? Download A TV!
 
Problems with your Short Game, Distance and Accuracy or Putting?  Learn First Hand from Top PGA Professionals ...
 
 

Carolyn Hax
For You
Saturday November 28, 2009

Carolyn Hax

Carolyn Hax

Adapted from a recent online discussion.

Dear Carolyn:

My boyfriend and I split up a few months ago. We had a dog together. (He adopted, but I was the co-parent.) I love this dog. My ex has recently moved, which makes it more difficult to see the dog, since I no longer have keys. But my ex seems to be making it even more difficult, not responding right away to my e-mailed schedule requests (which I send in advance, at least two to three days before), and when he does respond, he's too busy to come home to let me see the dog.

It makes me really sad that the dog is alone when he could be with me. I'm not living somewhere where I can have the dog overnight more than once-in-a-while. (I had to move out when we split up.) I don't expect my ex to cater to my schedule, but some acknowledgment and accommodation would be nice. Any suggestions on how to share custody of the dog? I don't want to fight or get ugly over it. I just want to see the dog.

-- D.C.


I can't believe I'm saying this -- I see pets as extended family -- but I think you need to give up.

He's making it clear that he's not going to let you see the dog, and your continuing to try is only making you miserable. Dogs aren't kids; they live in the present, so it's not like with a child, where your visitation failures could be seen as a personal betrayal. Visiting is just for you, and you're not getting anything out of it.

Consider volunteering at a shelter, if you miss your connection with dogs, and try not to look back.

----

Dear Carolyn:

It has been the toughest period of my life, and I don't know how I would have made it through without my mother and mother-in-law. My husband is in the States for work; my son and I are overseas because of my work. My mom and MIL have given up months of their lives and left their families behind to move in with me and help raise our son.

And it's not just our son they've been taking care of; Mom was my rock during my recent miscarriage, MIL just nursed me through the swine flu. There are no words for what these women have done. We're moving back home in a few weeks, and I want to do something to thank them. I've asked them what they'd like as special treats -- a year's worth of pedicures? Monthly gift certificates to favorite restaurants? Skywriting singing their praises? They both insist that they want nothing more than for me to do the same for my son and his family someday. Even my biggest ideas feel inadequate. Gah. Any suggestions?

-- London


Nothing beats writing down your thoughts in a card or letter. Anyone with money can get someone a year's worth of pedicures (Carolyn Hax, The Washington Post, 1150 15th St. NW, Washington, DC 20071), but a letter requires time, thought, and paragraphs of individual detail. And, most important, it can be kept in a drawer for the rest of their lives, allowing them, on their bad days, to quickly lay hands on proof that they're valued by someone.

========

E-mail Carolyn at tellme@washpost.com, or chat with her online at noon Eastern time each Friday at www.washingtonpost.com.


Copyright 2009 Washington Post Writers Group

Read more about Carolyn Hax at ArcaMax.com.

Comment on this Story | Printer Friendly | Send Story to a Friend | Top
Register today with PlanningFamily.com to receive free baby stuff, newsletter and much more.  Click here for details...
Recent Stories
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax
More From ArcaMax Publishing

Newsletters: Comics - Knowledge - Lifestyles - News - More

Classic Books: Fiction - Non Fiction - Short Stories - Sci Fi - More

More: Quizzes - Sudoku - Crossword - Weather - Sports - Columns

En Español: Ultimas Noticias - Tiras Comicas - Deportes - Sudoku

Ad Free Newsletter
ArcaMax publications are now available in an "advertising-free" format.
Please click here for details.
 
 

Manage Your Subscriptions

You are currently subscribed as duncanjax@gmail.com.
To unsubscribe from this newsletter, please notify us here or visit https://www.arcamax.com/cgi-bin/custacct.

ArcaMax Publishing, Inc., 729 Thimble Shoals Blvd., Suite 1-B, Newport News, VA 23606 | FAX (757) 596-9731
Copyright © 2009 ArcaMax Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advertise With Us | Contact the Editor | FAQ/Help


ArcaMax Publishing websites:
www.arcamax.com (Family-Friendly News & Fun)
www.bookdaily.com (Book Samples for Book Lovers)
www.arcamundo.com (en español)

No comments:

Post a Comment