Monday, November 30, 2009

Carolyn Hax for Tuesday December 1, 2009

Having trouble seeing this email? View the most recent issue or stories from previous issues.
ArcaMax Publishing, Inc.
  Today's Wine & Dine Daily Video
How To Make Three Minute Bacon
Play Now!
Advice from Carolyn Hax ArcaMax.com | News | Books | Comics | Games | Subscribe | My Account
 
Neurostin is a scientifically-advanced, non-prescription brain superfuel which can prevent and reverse memory loss, provide an overall boost for brain strength and stop the damage to brain cells.  Click here to try it Free
 
Quick Clicks
Free Customized Marlboro Tee Shirt
Exclusive Calendar for 2010 - Get Yours FREE Right Here!
One For You and One For the Kids: Get 2 Dell Mini Notebooks - FREE!
 
Come Celebrate the new Geneva Watch Collection fall line of watches and receive a surprise ...
 
 

Carolyn Hax
For You
Tuesday December 1, 2009

Carolyn Hax

Carolyn Hax

Adapted from a recent online discussion.

Hi, Carolyn:

I am a 27-year-old virgin. I was raised pretty religiously. However, during senior year of college I began really questioning that upbringing and would no longer identify myself as religious, although I do still have some fundamental beliefs that stem from that upbringing.

Yet, I still can't bring myself to have premarital sex. I haven't had a relationship where it's been an issue yet (they haven't gotten that serious), but I could easily see myself being the girl Anonymous wrote in about (in Monday's column). I can't determine where that puts me in your "life-flow" question -- I think I'm OK with some degree of "life happens," but just not in this area.

-- Anonymous 1


Thanks for the thoughtful comments. I have a hunch, given your arc, that if you were in a brink-of-marriage, this-is-it relationship with someone, you might change your mind.

Actually, that isn't quite right. Since you no longer identify as religious ... if you're ever in a relationship so intimate that marriage is beside the point -- where there's no suspense, it's a mere formality, where you consider marrying not because it would make you more committed to each other but because it's just easier that way with your family, future kids, whatever -- then "before" or "after" is no longer a relevant distinction.

Re: Sexual compatibility:

Let me caution ANYONE who thinks they can predict sexual compatibility based on premarital sex. When my husband was 30, he began to suffer from impotence. The same year I was diagnosed as sterile. Talk about blows to your sex life. It is now over 20 years later. We are still married, just not the marriage I thought it would be. This difference between expectations and reality is probably true for every couple.

The trick to sexual compatibility is COMPATIBILITY: communication; approach to problems; willingness to compromise, learn and try new things, and respect each other's boundaries. Perhaps his past relationships ended due to this, not sex.

-- Anonymous 2


Good point, thanks. Emotional compatibility is a strong engine for physical attraction, and certainly it's great to have if something else breaks down.

There can be problems despite a strong bond, though. There could be unrealistic expectations, for example, that everything will click from the start. It can also be unrealistic to expect emotions to be the only engine; I do think an element of attraction is strictly physical.

Appetite involves just about everything -- physical, emotional, health, external factors -- and so is particularly difficult to predict. It can plummet for reasons unrelated to physical or emotional compatibility. And wow has that led to some marital disappointments, regardless of whether sex came before or after marriage.

Dear Carolyn:

I was once in the wait-for-religious-reasons camp.

When I met my now-husband, I slowly started to change my mind. He clearly wanted to have sex, but was willing to wait until I was ready.

I waited until we hit a point in our relationship where I was pretty sure I wouldn't regret having sex with him -- even if we broke up at some point down the road. Then I knew I was ready.

-- Anonymous 3


I like that, because it applies to absolutely everyone, from the early adopters to the strictest of holdouts. Thanks.

========

E-mail Carolyn at tellme@washpost.com, or chat with her online at noon Eastern time each Friday at www.washingtonpost.com.


Copyright 2009 Washington Post Writers Group

Read more about Carolyn Hax at ArcaMax.com.

Comment on this Story | Printer Friendly | Send Story to a Friend | Top
This Christmas, wouldn't it be special for you and your family to experience the miracle of the Nativity in a whole new way?  Now you can, with the FIRST-EVER Thomas Kinkade
Recent Stories
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax
Small Arrow   Carolyn Hax
More From ArcaMax Publishing

Newsletters: Comics - Knowledge - Lifestyles - News - More

Classic Books: Fiction - Non Fiction - Short Stories - Sci Fi - More

More: Quizzes - Sudoku - Crossword - Weather - Sports - Columns

En Español: Ultimas Noticias - Tiras Comicas - Deportes - Sudoku

Ad Free Newsletter
ArcaMax publications are now available in an "advertising-free" format.
Please click here for details.
 
 

Manage Your Subscriptions

You are currently subscribed as duncanjax@gmail.com.
To unsubscribe from this newsletter, please notify us here or visit https://www.arcamax.com/cgi-bin/custacct.

ArcaMax Publishing, Inc., 729 Thimble Shoals Blvd., Suite 1-B, Newport News, VA 23606 | FAX (757) 596-9731
Copyright © 2009 ArcaMax Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advertise With Us | Contact the Editor | FAQ/Help


ArcaMax Publishing websites:
www.arcamax.com (Family-Friendly News & Fun)
www.bookdaily.com (Book Samples for Book Lovers)
www.arcamundo.com (en español)

No comments:

Post a Comment